SAMPLE LEARNER'S PERMIT TEST QUESTIONS
Use these drawings of sign shapes to answer the first seven questions.
1. Which shape is a STOP sign?
2. Which shape is a YIELD sign?
3. Which shape is a warning sign?
4. Which shape is a speed limit sign?
5. Which sign has white letters and border on a red background?
6. Which sign has black letters on a yellow or orange background?
7. Which sign has black letters on a white background?
8. Choose the letter of the correct path of a driver making a right turn on a two-way street.
9. Choose the letter of the correct path of a driver making a left turn on a two-way street.
10. Choose the letter of the correct path of a driver making a left turn from a two-way street to a one way street.
11. This sign means
A. Hospital Ahead
B. Detour Ahead
C. Cross Road Ahead
D. Railroad Crossing Ahead
12. This sign means
A. Bridge Ahead
B. Roadway Curves To The Left
C. Soft Shoulder
D. Road Narrows
13. This sign means
A. Slippery When Wet
B. Winding Road
C. Wet Paint On Lines
D. Fresh Tar
14. You must stop for a school bus with flash red lights
B. only if you see children getting off the bus.
C. if you are in an oncoming lane of a multilane roadway with a median.
D. if the bus intends to turn left.
15. The implied consent law means a person automatically agrees
B. to drive within the posted speed limits.
C. to yield the right of way to pedestrians.
D. not to drive after drinking.
16. You are prohibited from crossing the center line to overtake and pass
B. near a railroad crossing.
C. at an intersection.
D. all of the above.
17. In the drawing below, which driver would be allowed to cross the yellow center line to pass if there was no oncoming traffic.
B. Driver B
C. Driver C
D. Driver D
18. A yellow pennant-shaped sign on the left side of a roadway indicates
B. a railroad crossing is ahead.
C.& a detour is ahead.
D. start of a school zone.
19. To stop on a roadway covered with ice or snow, you should
B. accelerate gently before braking to get better traction.
C. pump the brakes lightly.
D. use the parking brake.
20. You are approaching a red light. A traffic control officer in the intersection is directing traffic in your lane to move ahead. You should
B. stop briefly, then proceed.
C. proceed through the intersection without stopping.
D. pull to the curb and park until traffic clears.
21. You hear a siren or see the flashing lights of an emergency vehicle. You should
B. quickly pull to the right and stop.
C. proceed slowly and stop if the emergency vehicle needs more room.
D. stop immediately where you are.
22. The rear of your car skids to the right. To correct the skid
B. brake hard.
C. ease off the accelerator and steer left.
D. ease off the accelerator and steer right.
23. When a red light with a green arrow is shown, it means
B. stop, then proceed in the direction of the arrow.
C. stop, wait to turn when the light turns green.
D. it is illegal to turn in the direction of the arrow.
24. This sign means
A. drive no faster than 40 mph.
B. you must drive at least 40 mph unless 40 mph is too fast for conditions.
C. you must always drive at least 40 mph.
D. you must follow at least 40 feet behind other vehicles.